ON MAY 15, 2020 AND THE SENATE, CONTROLLED BY REPUBLICANS SAT ON THE BILL THE REMAINDER OF MAY, JUNE, JULY AND THE FIRST WEEK OF AUGUST... DOING NOTHING.
- House Democrats pass a $3 trillion coronavirus relief package.
- Republicans have opposed the bill, so it has little chance of becoming law.
- It includes relief for state and local governments, more direct payments, hazard pay for essential workers, an extension of the federal unemployment benefit and money for testing, among other provisions.
The bill includes:
- Nearly $1 trillion for cash-strapped state and local governments
- A second round of $1,200 direct payments to individuals, with up to $6,000 per household
- $200 billion for hazard pay for essential workers
- $75 billion for Covid-19 testing efforts
- An extension of the $600 per week federal unemployment insurance benefit through January (it is currently set to go through July)
- $175 billion in rent, mortgage and utility assistance
- A 15% increase in the maximum Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefit
- Repeal of the $10,000 cap on state and local tax deductions for two years, which would help certain states’ budget crunch but benefit higher-income taxpayers most
- Expanded mail-in ballot access, which Republicans oppose
- Relief funds for the U.S. Postal Service
- $10 billion in emergency small business disaster assistance grants
- Subsidies and a special Affordable Care Act enrollment period for people who lose employer-sponsored health coverage
AND now because of inaction by the Republican Senate, Americans will suffer for many months without any aid.
If Trump had simply done his job back in February, thousands of American lives would have been saved. If Trump had only done his job, millions of Jobs would have been saved. If Trump had only done his job, the economy would have been saved.
If only Trump had done his job, America's children would be starting back to school without fear of dying because they do so.
But Trump didn't do his job. Back in February or in August. And now America is in this mess created by the Bungler in Chief.